A healthy home is dependent on two things. That the external and internal environments compliment each other. I have had good experiences doing landscaping, I find it satisfying, I will give some reasons that when done properly, landscaping will enhance your surroundings and add value to your property, also some tips on the basics. I have included a brief review on Ideas 4 Landscaping, Which I have found a most useful resource.
Landscaping Design Ideas are as varied as the individuals who create them. In many parts of the world traditional designs are passed down through generations, Japanese gardens for example revolve around water, with only slight variations to their theme.
The main aspect of any landscaping project is to create a pleasant atmosphere, but, as well as creating a pleasant theme, there are other benefits to be gained from good landscaping as well.
Many of the world’s population reside in units / apartments, high density housing, so Internal air quality is as much an important factor for comfort and a healthy environment as it is for a standalone residence out in the suburbs or on acreage.
Garden and Landscape Design
Good garden and landscape design are not confined to ascetics, or just a place to “chill out”
Other benefits are.
- Energy Savings
- Food production
- Many plants remove toxins from the atmosphere such as formaldehyde or volatile organic compounds.
- Air quality
- Reduce noise levels
- Improve ground moisture and fertility levels
- Improve drainage around your home
- Out door entertainment areas
- Attracting birds and other wild life.
- Gardening is a great form of exercise.
- Self satisfaction with your creation and work
- A relaxing hideaway.
Garden Landscaping Ideas
It is one thing to have an idea, but turning that idea to reality involves a set of skills not everyone has, and to be honerst, many folk don’t want to have. Landscaping is a broad field and involves skills such as architects, surveying, carpentry, horticulture, plumbing, electrical, and plant operation, concreting, rock wall building and fishponds.
Materials account for much of the cost a landscape project. However, using recycled materials such as recycled timber, can make a project more cost effective. if these are not available try to use plantation timber.
Generally the best recycled hardwoods are old railway sleepers, or timber from demolished older buildings.
Treated plantation softwoods are OK to use, but if you are buying new all the time costs can get out of hand.
Any new structures in your project, pergols, etc; should be built using new materials.
Also try to reuse material from any excavation, for use in garden beds or to build up low areas so water is allowed to drain away, But not towards your home.
The use of “Ag Drains” is a popular way to remove excess water from an area, depending on the size of the project a catchment and PVC pipe may have to be used to remove water, either to a pond, or the kerb.
Any excavated rock is always good for perimeter walls around gardens or feature pieces.
Excessive amounts of paving should be avoided as they contribute to micro climate heating and reduced site permeability. There is an old saying. “Pave only where you walk, sit or stand”.
Designing your project to include areas for children need not be hard. As they grow, the things they use become redundant, in many cases they become features.
Plants for Apartments
- Terrariums, always popular.
- Indoor Hanging Plants
- Balcony boxes with flowers or vegetables
- A huge list Here
Still there are costs involved, lighting, pots, soil mixture, fertilizers all have to taken into consideration. Once done, there is only regular watering (misting) and you are done.
The benefits of indoor plants has been shown to have “positive psychological effects and as well as help with indoor air purification, since some species, and the soil-dwelling microbes associated with them, reduce indoor air pollution by absorbing volatile organic compounds including benzene, formaldehyde, and trichloroethylene. While generally toxic to humans, such pollutants are absorbed by the plant and its soil-dwelling microbes without harm” from wikipedia.
Gardening Landscape Courses
Probably, you have in your local area experts who run courses, also there are hundreds / thousands? of books available (online and off), that cover just about every aspect of gardening or landscaping you may be interested in. I have written about it previously
Ideas4 Landscaping is probably the most comprehensive garden and landscape design resource outside of a college or a university. Essentially it is a one stop shop of information for every thing landscape and garden.
If you have had problems with any of the following you need to look at Ideas 4 Landscaping.
- Under-estimated the time and cost required to complete your landscape project.
- Contractors over complicating the process to justify their price.
- Not sure where to start
- You don’t understand the process, or are unsure about the materials required.
- Just want a simple plan that could be completed in a weekend
- Worried about being overcharged for landscape designs.
- Want more choices than you would otherwise have, if you just settled for magazine designs or contractor designs.
- A contractor sick of the same old same old, and needing new designs.
- Wanting to start your own business. and don’t have $1000’s to pay for courses.
- Save Money
One easy payment at an unbelievable price and you have all this and more !
Along with thousands of photos you actually get designs that can be used wether you are new to this, or a professional landscaper.
Comprehensive and excellent value it has all you need without undertaking expensive courses.
- Instant access to 120 videos on landscaping
- Basic & Pro Landscaping Designs. you can use the ideas whether you’re a DIY beginner, a professional landscaper, or a homeowner willing to spend to get that perfect landscape for your outdoors.
- A massive collection of 1000’s of photos, ideas, and simple step-by-step details is designed to help home owners make progress with their plan to liven up their home with the perfect theme.
- Getting ideas to landscape your home is not a problem there is a style for nearly every yard, climate, country, trend, preference and art form.
This resource has been put together by Helen Whitfield who has nearly 2 decades of landscape designing and contracting.
It includes gazebos and pools,concreting, decks, ponds, pools,irrigation,sheds, driveways, waterfalls, hedges, slopes and grades, fencing and plants. Plus Ideas to enhance your home’s exterior with stylish furniture, lighting, plants and more.
Compiled into 60 catergories, with 120 videos hosted by veteran landscapers and added to regulary, making it easier for you to formulate your design.
Is this just Recycled stuff off the Internet?
No This is all original and not a rehash of anything from either the internet or magazines.
Helen ia an Educator and Member of American National Landscapers Association and has devoted 5 years putting this resource to gether.
It is used by professional landscapers and home owners the world over. So it is likely some projects will have featured in a magazine or video.
Do I use it
I do and my opinion is, that it can take your design ideas to another level, plus I have had this one for nearly 10 years.
Please know that the links in this email might be affiliate links and if you decide to purchase, I might earn a commission. Needless to say, if I promote a product, I make 100% sure that the product works as described by the vendor and is 100% ethical. But it is always recommended to do your due diligence before you invest in anything – after all, it’s your money, not mine.